Historical Markers

Historical Markers from in and around Clarksville

Clarksville Cemetery

This burial site was first used in the 1830′s for the family of James Clark, the founder of Clarksville, who is interred here. The earliest grave is that of his father, Benjamin Clark, a Veteran of the American Revolution. Other … Continue reading

Early Pioneer Cemetery

In 1834 this block of land began to be used as a cemetery in the early days of Clarksville and was abandoned in 1897 when other cemeteries were established. It was known first as the Methodist Episcopal Cemetery. The last … Continue reading

First Baptist Church of Clarksville

Kentucky Minister W.M. Pickett and seven charter members organized this charter in 1847. The devoted group of Baptists endured nearly impassable roads, inclement weather, and a scattered population and built their first sanctuary in 1850 on a site which later … Continue reading

First Presbyterian Church of Clarksville

Clarksville’s First Presbyterian Church has occupied this site on the banks of the Delaware since 1858-1859. The church was organized by the Cumberland Presbyterian Church, which established many congregations during the western expansion of the United States. This congregation in … Continue reading

Leave a Reply